WE’RE STARTING A COMPANY - Putnam Marketing
JANUARY 28, 2018
KATEPUTNAM LEAVE A COMMENT
How are we doing it? At Putnam Marketing we’re making it work.
Team work makes the dream work.
At Putnam Marketing, we know that we can’t do this alone. To start, if you have an idea, you need to jump in, with both feet. Take a leap of faith. And, pray. A lot. To what ever God you believe in, because it’s scary, it’s fun, and you will learn something new every day.
Then take it in steps and surround yourself with people who are smarter than you are, people who have more experience than you do and trust them.
What we have learned.
Make lists. What do you like to do? What are your passions? What do you want to accomplish in your life through this company?
1. What are you going to do? Decide what your strengths are and where you can use your skills.
2. Do your research. Find out who your competition is, what are they good at, and then create a plan. Where do you fit into the market? What makes you different? Why would people want to pay for your services?
3. Register your name with the state. Create a mailing address. Hire a CPA. Get all of the legal licenses in order.
4. Financially, if you don’t have venture funding to plan your finances then you have to literally ask the people you are hiring to work for free on a 1099 for a short time or on a commission basis to start.
5. We’re using Quick Books for our accounting system at Putnam Marketing, it’s quick and easy and accessible on your phone. You can track your milage and you can link your checking account to it so that every penny you spend can be tracked.
6. Market. Promote your company. Create social media sites; Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn, and Yelp. Ask everyone you know to like the pages. Update them frequently and write blog posts weekly.
7. Pick an office space if it is necessary. Personally, I don’t think that it is necessary and it is a good way to keep your overhead low. We are creating an entire company without meeting each other and it’s working just fine. We have weekly team meetings and daily one on one meetings to be sure we’re on track.
8. Create a business plan and a marketing plan. You will also need to have a operations plan. Check it regularly so that you can stay on track to meet your 30 day objectives.
Make it a priority to stick to your plan. Plan your days to make your plan work. Review your goals and hold everyone including yourself accountable to achieve them. Be flexible. Be willing to learn. And, plan on changing your plan daily, weekly, and monthly. That’s the only way building your own company will work.
We wish you the best of luck and will be giving updates as we learn them so that we can help you be successful too.
CEO of Putnam Marketing Kate Putnam oversees business development for the New Hampshire Website development company. They specialize in social media management, and website maintenance and development.